I had originally intended to buy Nikon's impressively versatile 18-200 VR zoom lens, but it was in short supply so I ended up getting the much faster (but also much heavier) f/2.8 70-200 mm VR zoom. Below is a photo of the D200 with this lens attached.
And here is a more-or-lest complete list of what's in my camera bag today.
- 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor
- 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor
- 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
- Lexar 4 GB Professional Series 133x CF card
- Extra EN-EL3e rechargeable battery
- Bogen/Manfrotto 3001BN tripod with 3030 pan/tilt head
- LowePro Stealth Reporter 100AW camera bag
I should clarify that the 70-200 zoom does not fit in the 100AW camera bag. I bought the smallest of the Sealth Reporter series, and it's too small to accomodate such a large lens. I will probably buy a larger camera bag soon.
I purchased the camera, 18-70 zoom lens, memory card and battery from Wolf Camera. The other items I picked up at B&H Photo-Video. Two of the lenses and the flash had mail-in rebates. I also got a free HP PhotoSmart 335 printer because of a special offer just for the week of Memorial Day.
I'm having a blast taking photos with with camera and learning how to use it. I'd like to thank David Hill and Rod Cole for their help choosing the right equipment.